Friday, June 1, 2007

And so what we have learned applies to our lives today

Things I have learned this year:

It’s ok to not be ok. For some reason, there’s an undercurrent in our society (or what I believe to be an undercurrent) telling us that if you are feeling sad that something is wrong with you. You’re not a good enough Christian, or you’ve done something wrong. But, it’s ok to not be a perfect happy bubbly person. It’s amazing how often we forget that.

Standing up for yourself is a form of self care. I had never heard it said to me so plainly before, but it is true. I have a tendency to look after others before myself, and I was told to take care of myself and was given lots of ideas and ways. I also got hurt by a friend this year, and when I stood for myself, I realized how much I needed to; I saw that it’s not good to always be run over by other people.

How to play the french horn. I can’t play that well, but I can play it!

Telling people how you really feel is pretty dang awesome. You can’t imagine how empowering it was to look a good friend in the eye and tell them that I cared a lot for them or that they had hurt me, or just tell them how I feeling about everything. Yeah, there was a lot of drama this year, but not keeping how I felt bottled up made it be less drama-ful than it could’ve been.

Anger that is kept inside smoulders until you explode. Everyone knows this, but it was amplified for me this year.

Traveling is the most fun when there is no destination!!!! My friend Lauren called me one Friday and asked if I wanted to go on an adventure. Of course I did! We decided to go to the coast for the night and be back Saturday afternoon. Next thing I know, we’re headed south on 101, and are in the Redwoods in California. It started with me saying how I’d never been to Gold Beach (we stopped in North Bend for the night, and were talking about going back north again), and we just kept driving south. It was perfect for some intense reflection, deep conversations, and singing loudly to the music. I want to do it again, but in a different direction...

Hospitals, while still not fun, are not the worst places in the world. I don’t dislike them as much as I did at the beginning of the year. Which is good, right?

Orchestra is my favorite ensemble to play in. Yes, it just surpassed jazz band by a smidgen, but it did pass jazz band. I think my favorite part of it is the role of the oboe, because in orchestra it really is a solo instrument - meant to be heard, and even seen as a leader for the winds. In band, the oboe is not really supposed to be heard, except for the few times there is a solo. You play as loud as you can, but no matter what, the 80 million trumpets sitting in the back drown you out.

Watching ducks can be very therapeutic. They are just so waddle-y, floaty, bobby, quacky, and happy! Find a duck pond near you and go and sit and watch and contemplate life and enjoy! (And feed them out of your hands!!)

No comments: