Saturday, July 21, 2007

The end is here, and it's kinda sad...

So, I went and got the new Harry potter book last night. Even though I went to Barnes and Noble, I didn't have to wait all that long, about 40 minutes or so, and it was even a FUN 40 (or so) minutes. It made me really happy to see all these kids and their parents get dressed up and be so excited for a book. I was telling my mom that I've never ever had to wait in line for a specific book opening before, and it was a nice change. I have stood in queues for movie premiers, heard stories from friends for waiting for video game systems, and even read of lines for the iPhone, but I've never heard or see anything as amazing as what I saw last night. The queue just to buy the book winded all the way around Barnes and Noble, weaving in and out of stacks. The atmosphere was really great, all the people were so friendly, and even though we were all the 1 am show-ups, the people I was around were no less Harry Potter fanatics than the ones that showed up in the afternoon...we were just people with less time.

I was originally morally opposed to ANY sort of sequel or spin-off of the Harry Potter world, but standing in that queue last night, and seeing kids and their parents equally excited about reading, and because of how much I love the characters, I'm thinking that more Harry Potter books wouldn't be such a bad thing...

Please don't shoot me for saying that.

So, of my predictions, some were right on, some were sort of on, some were sort of off, and some were so wrong that I am wondering what I was thinking. I think this book is my favorite out of all of them, but only because it explains pretty much everything, and ties up all the loose ends that I could think of. The plot was totally awesome, and went in places I had never dreamed it would go, and went places I didn't really want it to go...but I LOVED it, none the less.

However, I can't say that the book was the most well written one of the series. I honestly think that JK Rowling's editors can't say no, or can't par down her books because they are so popular. Consequently, I felt that sometimes this book had a lot of dead space. Or maybe I just didn't fancy the "filler" information. There seemed to be a lot to fit into this one book, but there also seemed to be a lot of...well, dead space. I can't really describe it any better than that.

Anyways, totally awesome, totally freaky, totally sad. One of her best books, in my opinion, let me know what you think!




(As a side note, I hate the US cover because I still don't understand it, and I've read the book! Can anyone explain it to me? Am I that oblivious? I liked the children's UK cover much more, as I actually understood it - great part of the book, don't you think? But what is with the adult cover, everyone reads Harry Potter! Don't be ashamed, old people!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you liked it! It was a good book and I'm sad that it's all finished too, especially since I'm just now getting into the books...

As for the cover, That's the final battle as well as added symbolism. In the last chapter, it talks about a red glow over the sky and you have everyone watching in the background. The Symbolism (I think anyways) is the curtains on the inside parts of the jacket. This shows this whole scenario as the "final act"