Saturday, December 22, 2007

How very un-PC of me.

In this day and age, there is a lot of pressure placed on not offending people. I totally understand this, it comes from the spirit of acceptance and understanding of other people's feelings and cultures. However, is it just me, or is this taken too far? Instead of accepting and understanding, there is a feeling of intolerance, hostility, and misunderstanding. If I tell someone "Merry Christmas" and they get upset because they don't celebrate or believe in Christmas, isn't that going against acceptance? Why can't I wish someone a Merry Christmas, and they can wish me a Happy Hanukkah, or a Happy Winter Solstice, or a Happy Holiday, or a Happy Saturday?

I suppose it isn't that big of a deal, but it is frustrating to find myself at work, and unable to talk about Christmas shopping with customers unless they bring it up. And granted, this isn't a policy that has been implemented at my job (as far as I know), but it comes from my own experiences with ticking people off during the holidays.

Oh well. My rant is over...wait, no it's not!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!





Ok. Now it's over.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that! That completely offends me! As a Catholic, we don't believe in the commercialization of the Birth of Christ through the capitalistic phrase "Merry Christmas"

:)

Just joking

Lucinda said...

"Cruel, but good word usage." (Jurassic Park, the most Christmassy movie ever!)

Anonymous said...

Nope. It's just you...

Tell 'em all 'Merry Christmas' and let the chips fall where they may!

LILY said...

Thanks! and Feliz Navidad to you too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.